Galapagos cruise food
I would swear that I took photos of some of these dishes on board the National Geographic Endeavour but I can’t find them. My bad!
Shortly before the cruise, Linda found out she was allergic to wheat products and needed to be gluten free. Among numerous other items, that really reduces the kinds of bread you can eat. During the voyage, we met some people who also needed to be gluten-free and especially for them the kitchen is making cassava bread. Linda and I both try it. Where has this been all our lives?
Linda asks Edison, the always helpful dining room manager, if she can be added to the cassava bread list. We have it for breakfast every morning from then on. That’s how accommodating things are in Lindblad Expeditions National Geographic Endeavour dining room.
Cassava Bread/Pan de Yucca
2 cups Cassava flour (Yucca or manioc)
2 cups Grated mozzarella cheese
2 Egg yolks
4 Tbsp. Butter
Salt to taste
1) Mix all ingredients until consistent and firm in order to form the dough.
2) Form little buns and let them rest for about 10 minutes.
3) Preheat oven at 375 F.
4) On a buttered pan place the buns and put it in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden.
Brazilian Xim-Xim Soup
This is a wonderful soup but the recipe makes enough for all the diners at lunch. So, I would suggest you make one-tenth of what the recipe calls for. By the way, this recipe took almost an hour to translate the ingredient measurements (such as a “taza” of this or that).
1 cup Butter
4 cups Pearl onion finely cut
4 cups Red onion, Cubed
4 cups Green & red peppers, cubed
6 Tbl Garlic, finely cut
1 cup Ginger, finely cut
4 cups Tomatoes (Skinless & finely cut)
2 cups Canned tomatoes
16 cups Chicken broth
1 Tsp. Turmeric
½ Tsp. Cheyenne
11 lbs. Fish (wahoo), cubed
1.4 cups Coconut , toasted
1.7 cups Macadamia nuts, toasted
6 cups Coconut milk
1) Toast coconut and macadamia nuts in oven until golden brown.
2) Sautee ingredients of Group 1 in butter.
3) Add all ingredients of Group 2 and simmer at low temp for
about 15 min.
4) Just prior to serving the soup, bring to a boil. Add Group 3, stirring
well until the coconut milk is dissolved. Cook until the fish is done
Salt & pepper to taste
Carrot and Ginger Soup
This is a simple soup that anyone who likes carrots and ginger (one of my favorite spices). This also is an easy recipe to reduce from 10 servings to five.
1/3 cup Ginger
1-1 /2 qt Chicken stock
1 cup Onions, chopped
1 cup Whipping cream
1/4 cup Scallions chopped
1/2 cup Parsley
1) Boil carrots until tender. Puree with hand held mixer or food processor.
2) Sauté pureed carrots with onions, ginger and butter.
3) Add chicken stock and bring to a boil for 30 minutes .
4) After carrots are cooked, liquefy through a strainer, return to pot and bring to a boil.
5) Lower heat to medium and add whipping cream, parsley. Salt & pepper to taste.
For 12 people
I know there are photos of the Chocolate Decadence somewhere and when I find them I will add them and tweet their appearance. Again, this recipe needs to be cut for 4-6 people rather than the 12 this recipe covers. Add vanilla ice cream.
1 lb. Semi-sweet chocolate
1-1/2 cups Butter
1 cup Vegetable oil
1 cup Sugar
1) Melt together the chocolate, butter and oil, and let it sit until warm.
2) Beat the eggs with the sugar until the mix has become thick. Put it on low
heat for a couple of minutes and combine half of this mix with the melted
chocolate. Combine it slowly, and add the rest of the eggs.
3) Put it in the oven for approximately 20 minutes (350 degrees) When you take
it out of the oven the cake will be a little wet; put it in the refrigerator over
night or at least two hours.
4) Before serving you can pour on Grand Marnier or any kind of liquor on
top along with whipped cream, some chocolate sprinkles and raspberry coulis.
These recipes are a small sample why it can be so difficult to leave the Lindblad Endeavour’s dining room behind. Not saying I wouldn’t have liked a hamburger or pizza at some point during the week. However, Linda and I always like to try new foods. And bring back recipes and see which ones we can incorporate into our lives. Cassava bread is the highest on our priority list. As for the Chocolate Decadence, that will be treat for friends when we can be sure there won’t be any leftovers. I need to lose weight.
Lindblad Endeavour Galapagos Cruise Links
The Galapagos Experience Endeavour Dining
Galapagos Adventure Upcoming Sustainable Dining Policy
How Darwin Saved The Galapagos Saturday Dining Menus
Galapagos Photo Tips Sunday Dining Menus
What To Pack For Cruise Monday Dining Menus
Getting to Guayaquil Tuesday Dining Menus
Las Bachas Shore Landing Wednesday Dining Menus
North Seymour Shore Landing Thursday Dining Menus
Fernandina & Isabela Islands Friday Finale Menus
Urbina Bay Shore Landing Endeavour Recipes
Life Aboard The Endeavour
More About Life On Board
Puerto Egas Shore Landing
Endeavour’s Floating SPA
Meeting One of World’s Rarest Animals
Puerto Ayoro Walking Tour
Santa Cruz Highlands Tour
Hunting Tortoises in the Santa Cruz Highlands
San Cristobal, Endeavour’s final stop